Top Horizontal Link Unit

Search my site for a particular ingredient!
Custom Search

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Amazing Turkey Avocado Omelet

This morning, I felt like doing a little bit of slow carb experimentation in the kitchen for breakfast. The result was ridiculously good, and I will definitely be making it again within the next few days.
When I opened the fridge, the first things I saw were avocados. After a bit more rummaging around, I discovered a pack of deli turkey that had barely been opened yet and had not spoiled. Of course, slow carb breakfasts usually are composed of some sort of legume and eggs, so I thought "why not try throwing it all together." The result was amazing!

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup egg whites
  • 1/2 can lentils
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • A few slices of deli turkey meat
  • Cumin
  • Oregano
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Smoked paprika
  • Olive oil
Directions:
  1. Add a bit of olive oil to a frying pan, and warm it up to a medium heat.
  2. Cut the turkey meat into small cubes or pieces.  Add them to the pan to crisp them up for a few minutes.
  3. Dice the onion, and add it and the lentils to the pan.
  4. Season to your preferred taste, and mix well.  I used cumin, oregano, and coarse salt and pepper, and tried adding a few shakes of smoked paprika.  The smoky flavor of the paprika really came through and added a fantastic flavor to the dish!
  5. Add the eggs and egg whites, and mix well.  Push the egg around to get everything covered.
  6. Cube the avocado, and spread the pieces evenly on top of the omelet.  A technique that I like to use is to cut the avocado lengthwise in quarters first.  Then, on a quarter, put 3 or 4 lengthwise cuts through the flesh but not the peel.  Then slice crossways into small pieces, and just fold the skin back so the cubes fall off.
  7. Cover the pan for a few minutes, which will heat the top of the omelet and help cook from above.
  8. Using a spatula, pry up the edges, and then slide the omelet onto a plate with a nice fold.
Recommendations and options:
Non-slow carb people can sprinkle some shredded cheese on the top with the avocado pieces.  This will taste great and actually help to keep the avocado in place when you slide the omelet out.
The smoked paprika makes a huge difference, compared to a regular slow carb omelet as I've posted about before.  It was a little pricey, but sooo worth it!
As always, I like to have my omelets with non-sweetened salsa with a few dashes of hot sauce.
Please try the recipe and let me know what you think.  I was super stoked at how great it tasted, and hopefully you will agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment