When I've been on a 4 Hour Body slow carb diet, I routinely cook black beans or lentils, avocado, vegetables, and scrambled eggs for breakfast, and serve it all with hot sauce. It's pretty good, it satisfies me until lunch, and I never feel guilty. However, a friend of mine suggested that if I try this quick recipe change, it's almost like you get an entirely different meal but with the exact same nutrition value. This small change in preparation will allow you to make a guilt-free slow carb breakfast burrito recipe in no time flat. While it's not a true breakfast burrito, in the sense that there is no carb-filled wrap or bread, the presentation makes for a nice change and it tastes great.
Try out this recipe which I routinely use to prepare my slow carb breakfast, though you can really add any slow carb ingredients that you'd like. The trick is in the preparation and the presentation!
- 4 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- 1/2 cup black beans or lentils
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 chopped Roma tomato
- 1 green/red/yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1 cooked chicken breast, chopped (leftovers work great in this recipe! Try slices of last night's steak, or pork chops... experiment!)
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- The first step is to make the "wraps." Do this by heating your frying pan until it is hot, adding a bit of olive oil or cooking spray, and then add half of the egg white mixture. Quickly swirl to pan so that the egg whites spread out evenly. This will cook very quickly. When the wrap is no longer moist, remove it from the heat. Repeat for a second wrap with the rest of the egg whites.
- To the empty frying pan, add the beans/lentils, onion, diced peppers, and chicken/steak/pork. Saute for a few minutes until everything is cooked through
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, and season them with salt and pepper.
- Add the beat egg yolks to the vegetable/meat mixture in the frying pan, and continue to stir things until the eggs completely cook. This is essentially preparing a deluxe plate of scrambled eggs!
- When the egg yolk mixture is ready, split it between the two "wraps" and add some avocado cubes before folding over to make a loaded breakfast burrito.
Depending on the thickness of the egg white wraps, these burritos may be very flimsy, or they may be perfect. Don't get discouraged if they don't look amazing each time. Cooked eggs can be finicky! As with most of my slow carb recipes, I highly recommend serving this with salsa and hot sauce. Let me know how it goes for you and if you like it!